Thursday, September 10, 2009

Plants


I've often heared this theory before and it made me wonder if it was indeeed true that plants do actually have feelings. I think that scientists are still debating on this because of their past experiments with plants. Some have conducted experiments on plants using gagets. I wasn't sure if this was true so I began to research what other people thought of the idea.

I typed this throry in the search engine and indeed people such as Norman from answerbag.com stated, "technicians have attached gages and monitouring devices and have detected immidate changes in plant chemistry and electric impulses when surrounding plants were damaged or cut or burned also when another area of the same plant was touched or damaged." it seems I wasn't the only one who was interested in this theory. In fact, "Plants also use their sense of touch for sex: As the growing pollen tube penetrates the female's style en route to her eggs, it "feels" its way along the ridges on the inside of the style" (http://www.gardenseeker.com/, 1). I also found that "Touch sensitive movement is known to occur in over 1,000 different species of plants. Other common ones are the tendrils of peas, which curl towards a 'touch', and of course the twining stems of beans" (http://www.gardenseeker.com/. 1).

I still wasn't sure of the accuracy of this theory because of these sources so I looked in a more educated source. The Daily Collogeon stated that they too have discovered plants have feelings because "researchers from Michigan State University have discovered that plants have a rudimentary nerve structure, which allows them to feel pain. According to the peer-reviewed journal Plant Physiology, plants are capable of identifying danger, signaling that danger to other plants and marshaling defenses against perceived threats. According to botanist Bill Williams of the Helvetica Institute, "plants not only seem to be aware and to feel pain, they can even communicate" (1).

When I first thought of the idea that plants having feelings I was only nine. I didn't do anything research, just simply made guesses. I thought that they have to feel somtehing because every living on this earth reproduces. I learned about the different ways plants cross polinate. One way plants cross polinate is through seed dispersal. well, in seed dispersal plants disperse their seeds and it is carried through the wind to other plants. I thought to myself " couldn't these plants feel when their seed is on them." Another instance i thought about touch was when I learned about the venus fly trap. When something is near the venus's fly trap shuts. In order to do this, wouldn't the plant have to "sense" that something is near and then react to it? It made sense to me. I also thought about the idea of communication. I've also thought that it may be possible for plants to communicate with each other when they are sick. They are afterall, living and if they can reproduce, then they can also communicate. I belive that yes, plants do have feelings. When you pick at the plants leaves that part of the plant is dead. When I plucked the plant's leaf i notices that the area began to turn brown. Also, during the time i pluck roses from the bush i noticed that the plant itself, within time starts to rot. Plants do communicate, the rose's stem started to bend down almost like it was sad. This communication I'm speaking of isn't verbal communication, but body language. It's showing that without it's roots to support the stem, the flower will began to willow and die. if the plant is healthy it would stand up straight and even it's color would beam. Eventually of course it's normal for the rose to die, even on it's bush. But it is a thought and it got me to research. In the end, my theory hasn't changed. Plant's are living things and it's only in it's nature to feel pain. ( that's just my opinion, this is not a fact).

No comments:

Post a Comment