Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Obama's School speech


I was watching the news after coming home from 306 and boy was I ashamed! People are actually againt the idea of airing Obama's stay in school speech because of his political background. That's so stupid! What harm is the president doing to kids? Is he telling them to drop out of school? Is he asking them to start looking for jobs instead? Obviously, I'm just trying to establish how stupid the whole idea is. President Obama is a good president because he is actually taking the time to care about kids and their future. These will be the same kids that will some day run the country.

Parents need to put aside their politcal opinions and look at the bigger picture! Someone needs to enforce the idea that staying in school is important and SOME parents are not doing a very good job. For example, some parents don't have time to help their kids out with school because they are struggling to keep the cash flowing. Instead of listening to a lecture about staying in school, teenagers are left home alone doing whatever they please. The parents aren't really involved in their life and no one is there to stop the teens from making bad choices. Teenagers have that stereotypical rebelious attitude because it's partly true. When you're a teenager you aren't really thinking of your future just yet. You are too bussy thinking about your sixteen birthday because you are finally going to be able drive and go out with your friends. The only reason my tweleve year-old cousin does her homework is because she said she will get in trouble and won't be able to buy her new labtop. Sure, this is a good way to get kids to do homework, but do they really know the importance of an education?
I don't think so, because not only are kids daydreaming all the time at a young age, but parents rarely care to ask kids about their interests. It's simple all they have to do is say, " What do you want to be when you grow up." Those simple words can start a meaningful discussion. One that can help their kid's acheive future success. Now that I think of it, I wish I studied harder during freshmen year because I don't think those grades reflect my work ethic. I know I could have done better, but what happend? I was too bussy thinking about what college is going to be like. I wanted to make as many friends as I can, take trips because I'm away from my parents, and join a sorrirty too. All my focus seemed to be on my social life instead of my academic life. Fortunately, Somone ( you know who you are ;D) was there to tell me that friends do not matter and they were right. Your friends will be there at your birthday, they will help you maybe when you have a bad day, but they can't be there for you all the time. In the end, my friends will graduate and I'll make other friends. Friends come and go, but family is always there (if you are lucky). The whole purpose of college is to make social connections to prepare yourself in the communication skills you will need to aquire for later AND obviously focus on getting your degree; don't let your social life get in the way of your academic plans.
Overall, Obama's is trying to provide additonal support for those parents trying to enforce the idea that school is very important. Those parents who have a problem with his politcal background need to wake up and smell the cofee.


No comments:

Post a Comment