Monday, September 7, 2009

Do I REALLY Want To Be A Lawyer?


It's always hard to figure out what you want your occupation to be later in life. Some people realize this at a very young age. For example, it's very cliché to realize one wants to become a doctor simply because when they were younger they use to play doctor with their sick bear. Others however, particularly during their college years, don't really know because they change their major too many times. Another example: my sister. She was actually headed towards law school because my mother had insisted it. But later, during her third year she realized that she just wasn’t interested in law; I guess it didn't fit her personality. Instead, she ended up graduating from dental school.

Anyways, enough about her. The point is that I really don't know what I will become, even though I have my mind set on law school. Who knows...maybe I might change last minute. This thought had occurred to me during a car ride to subway, (weird huh?). I was discussing an email I got from a lawyer. He said he didn't have any programs I could participate in and he didn't even bother letting me know if I can shadow him. He did however, invite me to have lunch with him and his colleagues and workers at his office. I haven't been to a dinner with such people, so it did seem slightly intimidating. I didn't think about what to discuss at the dinner; I was going to just go with the flow. That is until I was asked, "what are you going to say if they ask what kind of lawyer you want to be ?" I do know about some of the different types of lawyers such as attorneys, corporate lawyers, and business lawyers, but I couldn't really tell you what kind of lawyer I want to be. This got me worried because what if I look at all the different kinds of lawyers and then waste my time looking at lawyers because I suddenly decide to be a detective ! Or even worse, I don't even get accepted to law school.

Even though it stresses me out to think like this, I take it as a good thing! Common, at least I have the opportunity to have options. Some people don’t have an opportunity to even think about what they want to be. For instance, my parents are lucky because they survived and everything worked out for them, despite the fact that they didn’t attend college. They didn’t have many options since they were too poor to afford school in India. Unlike the U.S., in India school wasn’t free. Also, back then schooling wasn’t seen as valuable. The only reason my father had a seven siblings was because the family needed to survive by working on the farm. The more kids, the more workers. Furthermore, my mom came from a family of six who weren’t educated either. If you are wondering how my parents survived, they did what any other foreigner did: come to America. And it worked…my parents started a business and are self-employed. I’m not going to go too much in detail with that cause I feel kind of bad; it might sound like I am being “proudy.” But, I am not like that; I really don’t do that because I think it’s bad luck. It’s like that superstition that if one celebrates good things and is gloating too much, it could result in something negative; like losing something good.

Back to my point, I still don’t know what kind of lawyer I want to be and what the future has in store for me. My solution is simply this: doing more research on the different kinds of lawyers that best fit my personality, research more about law-school if I really do want to get accepted, and get good grades along with a good Lsat score to even have law school as my option. It’s nice to have options and not worry about paying for law school either. I am really lucky and owe it all to my parents. Without them, my situation wouldn’t be this easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment