Sunday, October 4, 2009

My Moment of Being


Something that shaped my moment of being Today was the time when my mother scolded me for lying. It was the day when I decided to take the twenty dollars I saw on top of the bathroom sink. I was taking a shower and was super excited about going to school because there was a craft fair going on for our 8th grade class. I wanted to ask my mom for money, but was too afraid to ask because she had already me knew shoes from payless the previous weekend. So I decided to ask my friend if I can borrow money.


But there it was...Twenty dollars just sitting on the bathroom sink. I decided to just take it and spend that money at the craft fair. While I was at the craft fair, I didn't buy anything for myself because there wasn’t anything that I liked. I wanted to spend the money, If not on myself, than on my family. I decided that the best gift for me is to see their happy faces!


That day when I came home from the craft fair, I surprised my brother with a new coloring book and some candles for my eldest sister. For the second sister, I decided to buy nail polish. Everyone seemed so happy and grateful for the gifts. It made me really happy to see them happy and also because they kept complimenting me. My mother had been in the kitchen at the time watching me unwrap these crayons and coloring books from the bag. She stood over me and said, "That's very kind of you; where did you get the money to buy these gifts?" my heart pounded, my hands shook, and I was stuck. I had to think of something clever to say; I thought of my original plan I had in the morning and blurted out, " I borrowed money from my friend...uh...you know Connie?" At this my mother looked very angry and said "Never lie!" She took my arm and twisted it and said, "You found that money on the bathroom sink." She released my hand from her grip and just me alone…sitting there...I was appalled at what just happened. The worst part was not the part where she twisted my hand, but I wished she never looked at me like that...

No comments:

Post a Comment