Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Closing My Eyes and Listening


A) A Women:

When I closed my eyes, I heard a women walking down the hall. She must have been wearing really pencil -point heels because the clicking of her heels gave off a very bold sound. It’s one of those things that a girl can tell. It almost sounds as a golf ball was bouncing on tile. She was walking very quickly; in a fast paced manner, but not to the point where it sounded like she was hurrying.

B) Student:

Someone to my right is shifting for their backpack and making a lot of noise. I assume he/she is leaving and gathering his belongings to pack up and put inside his backpack. I heard his/her zipper loudly and swing over their back with a slippery, backpack material-like noise. They must have been wearing tennis shoes because they walked off with small thumping noises.

C) Outside:

I heard the wind blowing hard because of the noise from cars and airplanes in the sky. There was some weird buzzing-like, drilling noise that was probably due to construction maybe. I also heard a scratchy noise by the window, accompanied by the sound of a bird. I think maybe it was his feathers that was responsible for the scratching. Usually birds mistake a window to be open and sometimes fly toward the window, which is very sad! Other times birds just like to rest on the window seal to take a break from their flight, which is what I think this bird I described was doing. I also heard the ring of University’s clock go off.

D) Person Next To Me:

He was texting and sighing. I think he was not enjoying studying for this math test that he has to take tomorrow. There was a lot of clicking of keys and I could hear him swallow hard on his spit, almost like a gulp from nervousness. I heard a loud clack; I am assuming he shut his phone. I also heard his arm slide against the wooden desk a lot.

E) Voices:

I heard a couple voices of males. I couldn’t make out what they are saying, but they sound very enthusiastic and happy. The voices were getting louder and I heard a very happy and loud “well!” A couple minutes later I heard a female voice. Her voice was very soft and feminine; I could barely hear her. She coughed, but I don’t know if that was her or not, but I know it was a cough of a woman because it wasn’t as aggressive as a man’s cough was. Her cough didn’t sound too bad either, she sounded healthy, not sick. It was a very light cough, suggesting that she must have had a little tickle in her throat.

F) Weird Noises:

I can’t explain how this noise sounds like. It sounded like a refrigerator. Some sort of energy being produced and maybe heating/ cooling something. It could have been the sound the cooler makes to cool drinks at a vending machine. Or maybe it was a air cooling system because I felt goose bumps on my arm. Thinking a logically, I think I know what that sound was! It is the sound of the water fountain that students drink out of. The water fountain must be cooling the water and making that noise. Another weird noise was the sound of something dropping. It sounded like a cup dropping onto the tile. This cup must have been plastic not Styrofoam because it make a loud clacking sound. Sometimes, when it was really quiet, I heard the walls creek.

After an hour had gone by, I decided to open my eyes and write my findings. When I opened my eyes it kind of hurt because of the luminous lights in the library. It’s weird, when I opened my eyes things seemed to get louder and livelier. There are a lot more people by me now and I hear a lot of voices outside. It is 5:27 right now, so I guess people are getting ready to go home. I think I should get ready to go and catch the shuttle too. I have a review for a test. Midterms suck! ;(

No comments:

Post a Comment